Re: Movie disappear from VGA out (ati driver)

On 03/03/2006 01:45 PM, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> Hi Felipe,
>
>>>This is not a Totem or Xine bug, it's a feature of your X driver.  I
>>>have seen this on various chipsets, and frankly I am a little
>>>puzzled why all driver writers implement such a useless behaviour.
>
> my memory tells me it has something to do with how the acceleration is
> done for the video overlay. If you are unlucy with your chipset+config
> and have a xinerama desktop you can put a video window half on each
> desktop and have it playing on one side and a black box on the other :(

	:-(

>>	BTW, when I was not using ATI proprietary driver, only "ati"
>>or "radeon" in my xorg.conf (instead of "fglrx") the video renders
>>without any extra options,
>
> Isn't that a reason to switch from the non-free fglrx to the free radeon
> driver?
>
> I made that switch some time ago and have been quite happy with the
> radeon driver. At the time, it supported suspend-to-disk/-ram much
> better, xinerama worked fine and TV-out using atitvout worked for me too
> (that depends on your chipset).
>
> (I'm not saying this just as a free software zealot or to start a flame
> war, but rather a pragmatist... if the free driver is the best technical
> solution, then why use the non-free driver? :)

	I understand you and I have a *strong* preference for the free
driver. I use it on Radeon 9200 and it works very well. My problem is
that using the free driver on the Mobility Radeon 9700 I lost 3D
acceleration and was unable to play DVDs and play some games. :-(

	So, I'm still using ATI proprietary driver for these stuff,
but from time to time I switch to free drive to do some tests and
to check how it is going on and if I'm able to switch over, specially
because it makes my life easier (I don't need to download and install
a proprietary driver anymore).  :)

>>of course, I'm missing something, but I'll
>>be happy if you could help to point this option out.
>
> In my old fglrx-based XF86Config-4 file (I've not switched over the xorg
> yet) I have an option:
>
>     Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
>
> which IIRC determines which device (and hence which screen) the XV video
> rendering can exist on.

	Hmmmm... it is on. But didn't work. I check the config file
lookig for overlay parameters or comments and found this:

    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"

	Turning this "on" does the magic. Just one problem, switching
from X to console and back to X stop working, strangely. If I'm in X
and switch to console it is OK, then if I switch back to X I have a
small "noisy line" in the top of the screen, the mouse works but the
screen does not refresh as usual. :-(

	At least I could find the problem, next time that I'm going
to use a projetor I can do the needed changes to get everything
working (just have to take care switching between X and console
during the presentation).

> You should also play around with your media player some more to see if
> there are other options. I have had good success at using the xshm
> rendering rather than the xv rendering (provided your processor is fast
> enough!)
>
> e.g. I use something like this for my TV out:
>
> xine -pf -V xshm dvd://
>
> (it can also be done from the menu system in most players, but doing it
> from the command line has certain scriptable value)

	Of course! :-)   Thanks for the tip and comments.
	Kind regards,

- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)