Re: Movie disappear from VGA out (ati driver)

Hi Felipe,

> > This is not a Totem or Xine bug, it's a feature of your X driver.  I
> > have seen this on various chipsets, and frankly I am a little
> > puzzled why all driver writers implement such a useless behaviour.

my memory tells me it has something to do with how the acceleration is
done for the video overlay. If you are unlucy with your chipset+config
and have a xinerama desktop you can put a video window half on each
desktop and have it playing on one side and a black box on the other :(

> 	BTW, when I was not using ATI proprietary driver, only "ati"
> or "radeon" in my xorg.conf (instead of "fglrx") the video renders
> without any extra options,

Isn't that a reason to switch from the non-free fglrx to the free radeon
driver?

I made that switch some time ago and have been quite happy with the
radeon driver. At the time, it supported suspend-to-disk/-ram much
better, xinerama worked fine and TV-out using atitvout worked for me too
(that depends on your chipset).

(I'm not saying this just as a free software zealot or to start a flame
war, but rather a pragmatist... if the free driver is the best technical
solution, then why use the non-free driver? :)

> of course, I'm missing something, but I'll
> be happy if you could help to point this option out.

In my old fglrx-based XF86Config-4 file (I've not switched over the xorg
yet) I have an option:

    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"

which IIRC determines which device (and hence which screen) the XV video
rendering can exist on.

You should also play around with your media player some more to see if
there are other options. I have had good success at using the xshm
rendering rather than the xv rendering (provided your processor is fast
enough!)

e.g. I use something like this for my TV out:

xine -pf -V xshm dvd://

(it can also be done from the menu system in most players, but doing it
from the command line has certain scriptable value)

cheers
Stuart