Re: hd recommendations#

Martin Bock a écrit :
Nicolas,

You refer to some IBM/Hitachi drives. What was their manufacturing year? Michelles's drives seem rather old to me, may be something changed in the meantime?

These are Deskstar 75GXP (IIRC), IC35L020AVER07-0 (ATA, 7200rpm, 20Gb), manufactured 2001-09. I bough them because of the reputation of IBM. This was the first very high failure of IBM's drives, and they handled this very badly (denying the problem, returning defective drives to customers, etc.). Nearly all the GXP series were bad. Those made in Hungary are said to be more prone to death than those from Thailand (I have dead ones from both plants). I read explanations about this (might be true) : a little too much oil, that can spill on the platers and poison the heads. Once one head has a tiny piece of oil on it, the drive repeats error upon error. Some BIOSes even can't boot, because of blocking call to the device, whihc do not respond... The problem might have passed... the reputation has passed... Google for "Deathstar IBM" Problematic drives are dated 2000 through 2003, at least (yes, they continued to ship deffective drive to custommers, denying any problem with them).

I have plenty of dead drive of all brands. The IBM stack is much simply higher than all the rest...

My IBM experience is also based on rather old drives (4yrs+).

Cheers, Martin