Re: hd recommendations [was: strange harddisk noise]

Martin Bock a écrit :
So I will get a new one. Any recommendations for or against a specific manufacturer?

Samsung makes reliable, silent, energy efficient M40 drives (that's what
I read before I bought)

I bought a "Samsung Spinpoint 40 Go 5400 rpm / UDMA 100 / 8 Mo" which is
really good (for me)
* no earable noise at 40cm, except when shutting down (click of the
heads), and when mounting ReiserFS (fast head movements)
* no whizz, buzz, etc.
* more than enough speed for the PIII 500 (UDMA33)
* just a little vibration
* (all this is reported at nightly ambient noise levels)
I'm really happy with it.
Don't know what the IBM/Hitachi drive are now, but they where really
noisy (hi-pitch whizz + awfull head movements). I fact, I changed be IBM
Travelstar 10Gb with the Samsung mainly because of the noise, and a
little because of performance.

--
NH