Re: best practice for adapting to different environments?

Michael Perry wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:55:58 +1100, Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> wrote:
> I've used a few different ways as well.  Awhile ago, I setup pcmcia
> schemes to align with different lilo stanzas so when I booted, the
> "right" environment was setup for me or I could launch a new scheme by
> doing a CARDCTL scheme somename.  I also tried the netenv package a
> few times.  Needless to say all these worked for me quite well.  What
> I settled on was no additional package and just use the power and
> flexibility of the /etc/network/interfaces file to have different
> schemes that I can launch quite easily.  I think the exact approach
> has been documented on the list before but a simple stanza set in the
> file for me looks like this:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> iface home inet dhcp
> wireless-essid mpshome
> wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> iface tmobile inet dhcp
> wireless-essid tmobile
>
> iface eds inet dhcp
> wireless-essid rfxr54gs
> wireless-key yyyyyyyyyyyyy

If your wireless card supports ESSID scanning Patrick Reynolds [1] has a nifty
script called essid-pick [2] available that lets you configure a
prioritized list of ESSIDs and then configures your wireless networking
for what it finds.

It's somewhat similiar to what you've got set up above except that all of
that would go in the script and then essid-pick gets called from
/etc/network/interfaces.

[1] http://www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/nc6000-linux.html
[2] http://www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/projects/essid-pick

--