Re: best practice for adapting to different environments?

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 14:42 +0100, Koen Vermeer wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> I'm using the guessnet package to set the right cups server, but you
> could also use it to set your smarthost.

Arggh! Not another one! :)

> A better solution may be to list all your smarthosts in exim. In most
> cases, if the smarthost doesn't accept your mail, it will tell exim, and
> exim can simply try the next listed smarthost. Ofcourse, this increases
> the time it takes to get a message from your laptop to the right
> smarthost somewhat (who knows, it may be one or two seconds...).

Oh, I didn't know exim could fall back like that.  It might perhaps be a
neater solution for me.

> Also note that not all the packages you mention are for the same
> purposes.

Yes, I sense that.  But it's unravelling all the subtle differences
between them that's so frustrating.

> I don't know if Debian needs to be cleaned up, but some documentation
> that covers the packages and their strengths and weaknesses would be
> nice.

Yes, that would probably be fine.  Maybe it could be added to the Laptop
HOW-TO.  Maybe there should be a laptop-task. It could Suggest: (not
Depends:)  "everything", simply to let users know what the options are,
then have a readme or somesuch for explaining the differences.

Drew