Re: best practice for adapting to different environments?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:00:41 +1100
Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to easily change my configuration depending on where
> I am (e.g. home/office/cafe).  The network interface itself is simply
> enough to change, the main issue for me is the mail smarthost server.
> If I forget to update /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and restart
> exim, then my mails are screwed. The smarthosts typically refuse to
> "relay" from outside their own domains. Recipient mail servers may
> refuse to accept mail from some random laptop that happens to connect
> to it, which is why I want to configure a smarthost.

Does your smarthost understand SMTP-AUTH?

Then it schould work from ANY place with ANY mailaddress because you're
authenticating directly to the server. You have configure exim to do
use authentication with passwd file /etc/exim4/passwd.client. Just add
one line:
your_smarthost:your_login:your_password

With the default exim4 configuration of debian this should be enough.

Regards
  Kai