Re: best practice for adapting to different environments?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:55:58 +1100, Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 14:42 +0100, Koen Vermeer wrote:
> > Hi Drew,
> >
> > I'm using the guessnet package to set the right cups server, but you
> > could also use it to set your smarthost.
> >

> Arggh! Not another one! :)
>
> > A better solution may be to list all your smarthosts in exim. In most
> > cases, if the smarthost doesn't accept your mail, it will tell exim, and
> > exim can simply try the next listed smarthost. Ofcourse, this increases
> > the time it takes to get a message from your laptop to the right
> > smarthost somewhat (who knows, it may be one or two seconds...).
> >

> Oh, I didn't know exim could fall back like that.  It might perhaps be a
> neater solution for me.
>

> > Also note that not all the packages you mention are for the same
> > purposes.
>
> Yes, I sense that.  But it's unravelling all the subtle differences
> between them that's so frustrating.
>

> > I don't know if Debian needs to be cleaned up, but some documentation
> > that covers the packages and their strengths and weaknesses would be
> > nice.
> >

> Yes, that would probably be fine.  Maybe it could be added to the Laptop
> HOW-TO.  Maybe there should be a laptop-task. It could Suggest: (not
> Depends:)  "everything", simply to let users know what the options are,
> then have a readme or somesuch for explaining the differences.
>
> Drew

I've used a few different ways as well.  Awhile ago, I setup pcmcia
schemes to align with different lilo stanzas so when I booted, the
"right" environment was setup for me or I could launch a new scheme by
doing a CARDCTL scheme somename.  I also tried the netenv package a
few times.  Needless to say all these worked for me quite well.  What
I settled on was no additional package and just use the power and
flexibility of the /etc/network/interfaces file to have different
schemes that I can launch quite easily.  I think the exact approach
has been documented on the list before but a simple stanza set in the
file for me looks like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface home inet dhcp
wireless-essid mpshome
wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

iface tmobile inet dhcp
wireless-essid tmobile

iface eds inet dhcp
wireless-essid rfxr54gs
wireless-key yyyyyyyyyyyyy

I also had a stanza setup for a static thing for awhile with some work
I was doing.  The beauty and simplicity of this method is all I need
to do to adapt a new scheme is to ifdown and ifup something with the
name after iface.

I use postfix here and most places I go now, I don't have issues with
smarthosts or other problems.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com