best practice for adapting to different environments?

Hi,

I want to be able to easily change my configuration depending on where I
am (e.g. home/office/cafe).  The network interface itself is simply
enough to change, the main issue for me is the mail smarthost server.
If I forget to update /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and restart
exim, then my mails are screwed. The smarthosts typically refuse to
"relay" from outside their own domains. Recipient mail servers may
refuse to accept mail from some random laptop that happens to connect to
it, which is why I want to configure a smarthost.

The number of alternatives for changing the laptop's configuration is,
frankly, overwhelming.

Werner's Linux Laptop HOW-TO mentions both netenv and divine.  The
divine home page (the netenv link in the HOW-TO is broken) mentions
intuitively.  "apt-cache search laptop" adds ifplugd, ifscheme,
laptop-net, laptop-netconf, switchconf, whereami.  (OK, some of these
don't do automatic detection, but nevertheless).  It's all a bit
ridiculous, really.

Is there any sense of "best practice"?  Are any of these packages proven
to be more reliable than others?  Can any be judged to be, *ahem*,
significantly inferior?  Or redundant (behaving exactly the same as
another package)?

Seems to me this area of Debian needs to be cleaned up, would you agree?

I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Drew Parsons

p.s. please CC: me, I'm not currently subscribed.