Re: Hot CPU after hibernate (Dell Inspiron 4100)

> Have you checked the problem is not there when you reboot? Cause
> others have had similar symptoms and it appeared to be a dirty fan,
> with lots of dust collected over the years. That way the processor
> simply did not got enough cooling power from the air flow.

Yes, rebooting does consistently fix the problem.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 04:40:00AM +0000, Michael Perry wrote:
> I understand the nervousness but I would definitely consider moving up
> to a new BIOS revision.

(nod) Fair enough.  Now I just have to scrounge up a floppy that hasn't
completely rotted out yet...

> My inspiron will not do ACPI reliably and things go terribly awry when
> I try to use ACPI so I always just back off and go back to APM.

Ya know, now that you mention it, I have used APM with this computer,
back with the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels (that was back when I was still
building a custom kernel; I didn't build in ACPI support, because I
assumed I didn't have the hardware), and I never had problems like this.
Is there a way to disable ACPI?  [searches kernel source docs] Ah, yes,
just have to use the 'acpi=off' kernel boot parameter.  I suppose I
should have thought of that possibility.  And after all the effort I
went to to find a graphical battery monitor program that supported ACPI
and didn't depend on a GNOME/KDE-style desktop environment being
present... :-}

						-sbigham