Re: Hot CPU after hibernate (Dell Inspiron 4100)

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 23:57 -0500, Scott Bigham wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:59:04PM -0800, Ian Greenhoe wrote:
> > What does the top command show?
>
> I've attached the output of top -bc -n 1 from shortly after resume; by
> this point the CPU was hot enough for the first fan to have kicked in.
> As you can see, it's running mostly idle, or at least it claims to be;
> usually, the system only acts this way when something's pegged at 99%
> CPU.  Anyway, HTH.  And thanks again.
>
> 						-sbigham

Hrm.  I've seen cases where the CPU that was obviously being used did
not match the CPU usage being reported to me.  Unfortunately, I'm not
remembering all of the gory details ATM.  (This was on a freshly
installed machine disconnected from the net, no break-ins/root
kits/etc.)

Is there evidence of a lot of processes being created?  (If you run ps
twice in a row, are the PIDs relatively close to each other?  Relatively
close == within about 4 on a lightly loaded machine.)

Another thought is to try killing applications/daemons until your CPU
stops getting hot (as a diagnostic.)  I suspect that if you track it
down to a process (or two), you will find that there is some common
thread where they are using some part of your hardware before you
hibernate, and they are getting really confused due to the hibernate
(and they will need to be restarted after hibernation).  My machine has
a problem with XMMS in that regard:  Anything that is *actively* using
the sound when I hibernate will not be able to use the sound after
hibernating (until I restart the offending process.)

-Ian