external vga -- ibm thinkpad 600e, neomagic driver

Hi folks -- after much straining I have a working debian/sid install
on my new (recycled) laptop. a thinkpad 600E with neomagic nm220 video
chipset.  I have a working xorg.conf which unfortunately does not
support the external vga.  I vaguely recall having had to do something
to enable the "switch to external vga" key on my last laptop, (Fn-F7
on this model) but that last laptop is unfortunately on the garbage
heap now so I can't check my config file.

If someone can walk me through the basics I'd be very grateful.  Do I
need to add an extra screen, an extra monitor, some kind of a switch
somewhere in the config... really, I can't tell you how much I would
appreciate this -- I was absolutely humiliated in class today when my
laptop wouldn't display on the external vga -- after all my sweat and
tears getting debian to install at all in the 24 hours btwn when my
laptop busted and when I had to get up in front of my students...

anyway, enough sob story, thx for the help,

matt