Re: zd8156ea

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 14:15 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> It suspends, it resumes, I get to watch the whole process, then I get to see
> it respond to a shutdown request.  When it comes back up, the disk is in a
> consistent state without any journal recovery.

Hrm.  As I think you mentioned before, a debouncer would probably solve
the issue.

Maybe a new interface in /sys/power/* to enable|disable S2|S3|S4|S5
requests?  Disable it by default on starting or restarting, and have
scripts like "hibernate" try to enable it when finished cleaning up from
restart (or on initial start).

BTW, I've seen a simular issue on my laptop when waking up from S4 where
it occasionally (maybe 2% of the time?) immediately goes back into S4
after waking up.  I'm able to wake it up again, and it's fine.  It seems
to happen mainly when I have restarted it less than five minutes after
shutting it down.  Annoying, but still only just annoying.

>                                                 This is a valid proof of
> "working".

Ya know, I think we should agree to disagree on this point.  It seems to
me that, for you, works == this part of the functionality is there.
This is in contrast to me, where works == usable in a practical sense on
a particular machine.

>             I won't argue any further.

Glad to hear it.  Objections to carrying on a discussion?

-Ian