Re: zd8156ea

Hi there!

I'd agree with one of the other posters that said to try knoppix.  If
nothing else, it does a very good job of autodetecting the hw.  If it
can't find something, that can give you a good idea of where your
trouble spots will lie.

As far as installing Linux goes, here's what you will likely find:
* Your CPU, graphics card, display, trackpad, keyboard, hdd, ethernet
card, usb, sound card, and PCMCIA bus will be supported.
* Your wireless card may be supported.  If you do an lspci (under
Knoppix/Debian) and tell us *exactly* what wireless card you have (more
precisely what chipset it uses), someone will be able to tell you if it
is supported
* Suspend to ram will probably not work (Seems to only work on IBM
Thinkpads)
* Suspend to disk will probably work (Seems to work for most people.)
* Your built in sd/memory stick/etc reader may work (about even odds).

As far as using RedHat software, try the "alien" package if you can't
find what you need to use packaged for Debian.  Alien allows you to
install software directly from an RPM (RedHat Package Manager file).

HTH,
-Ian