Re: zd8156ea

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 09:18 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> No.  It works just fine.  I didn't say it was unable to resume.
> Unfortunately, once resumed, it immediately starts the shut down sequence
> because Dell uses the power button to resume.  I should have been more
> precise. I already knew what happened, I just see no reason to use suspend
> over hibernate - so I haven't modified the acpi config to prevent the power
> button doing a shutdown on resume.  iirc, the way to prevent this is to
> turn off acpid during shutdown, then turn it on during resume, then it
> doesn't queue the power button press, but as I say I haven't experimented.

No.  This is still not working.  You have a belief that you can get it
to work; you see that with some (possibly minimal effort) you could get
it to work; but you do not actually have real evidence that it works.
Further, the type of failure that you describe makes it possible that it
is not fixable with the current state of the kernel.  OTGH, you do have
a valid alternative: instead of suspend to RAM (S3), you can suspend to
disk (S4).

With that said, on my old laptop, I couldn't get S4 to work -- and there
were times that I *really* wanted S4 to work.  However, I didn't lose
too much sleep over it since S3 worked.  Part of this is that I had an
older laptop, and for some reason which I remained unable to trace down,
kernels past 2.6.8 would not work -- apci/pcmcia issues, and since I
only had networking via a pcmcia card...  This is relevant since the
kernel S4 via swap partition has become a *lot* more stable since then.

Now, I'm in the exact opposite position:  S4 works and S3 won't.  There
are times when the fast resume from S3 would be nice, but I don't have
that option currently.  (Mine suspends fine, but the graphics chip won't
come back after resume.)

> > That's like saying that a human can fly without wings:  Yeah, you can
> > travel thru the air, but landing is a real problem.
>
> It really wasn't _anything_ like that.  It would be a pretty week analogy
> even if I _had_ said it was unable to resume.

Actually, no, I happen to think it's a perfectly fine analogy for what I
was talking about.  The point being that, yes, in theory you could do
this, but the current consequences of the action make the action
effectively un-doable.

> > FWIW, I've heard a lot of reports like this.  Which is the reason why I
> > made my blanket statement.
>
> Then you started making blanket statements about other people's
> experience...

(Raises eyebrow.)  Um, excuse me, but the OP was asking people's
opinions on whether they would be able to get Linux/Debian working on
thier laptop.  I expressed an opinion that they likely would not be able
to get S3 to work, but would be able to get S4 to work.  I have since
gotten one report of S3 working on different hardware than I described
-- which I am personally glad to hear, since it means that at some point
S3 may work for the two of us, as well.  (Which would be a nice state of
affairs.)

However, the OP wanted to know if they would be able to get thier laptop
working *now*, and not in some (possibly) distant future.  I was trying
to present an honest opinion based on what I see as the current state of
things, and not pulling any punches.  I was not doing this to be
offensive -- which /seems/ to be your take on it, based on your response
-- but to be honest.  In order for us to progress, we need to be honest
about where we stand today.

-Ian