Re: Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

Hi Goran.

Thanks for your config sample, but it seems to be very different from
what I want to do.

What I try to obtain is that the main level process is whereami, which
one determine which network is present, then execute correct actions.

Le 13078ième jour après Epoch,
Goran Ristic écrivait:

> Hi François!

[...]
> # The primary network interface
> iface eth1 home dhcp
> #
> ##      WEXT
> #       pre-up /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw
> #
>          pre-up /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -D ipw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw
>          post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
>
>          wireless-mode managed
>          wireless-essid any
>
> Be sure, that /etc/network/netsheme contains the mentioned "home" above:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # /etc/network/netsheme for WPASupplicant
> locations=$(whereami --mapping)
>
> if [[ "$locations" == *home* ]]
>          then
>                  echo "home"
>          elif [[

My /etc/network/interface contains only:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
        wireless_essid any
        wireless_mode Managed

and it's enough for wired/wireless auto adaptation.

> Sometimes the driver "wext" in /etc/network/interfaces gives better results.
> For ipw you could give it a try.

I'll try.

> Seems, that the driver can't authenticate. (?) Try calling wpa_supplicant by
> hand and with -d.

This test was made on a *non* wpa network. So there is no reason for
loosing the link. It's what I want to understand.

>>6) dhclient is unable to obtain an IP
>>7) ...
> Of course, if you can't associate, you won't get a ip. ;)

Sure ;) .. I was only trying to describe the order of events.

Many thanks for your answer. I'll shuffle and aggregate all replies,
then tell all what solution (If I found one) I use.