Re: Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

François TOURDE wrote:

> Le 13077ième jour après Epoch,
> Jan Luehr écrivait:
>
>> Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2005 14:56 schrieb François TOURDE:
>>>
>> [...]
>>> My card (ipw2200 driver) doesn't have the WPA iwpriv capabilities, so
>>> I should use some supplicant.
>>> Did somebody have some ideas for using whereami and WPA ?
>>
>> Can you be more verbose? What do you mean by "breaks my config"? Imho
>> wpa_supplicant doesn't change any interface settings. (If you are
>> refering to settings made by ifconfig or dhclient, etc.)
>
> As I can remember (I've apt-get remove'd wpa_supplicant),
> wpa_supplicant changes the iwconfig of my card, and try to detect
> which AP is present.
>
> On some case, it down/up the link, then ifplugd report a link beat
> lost/detected, and launch whereami again, so I loose connection.

That sounds like exactly the sort of situation that ifplugd's -d and -u
options are intended to resolve.  Increase the value of -d to prevent
ifplugd seeing wpa_supplicant drop the link-beat, or increase the value of
-u to prevent ifplugd trying to bring the connection up until
wpa_supplicant is finished.  Alternatively, you might need to turn off
ifplugd for the wireless interface, and use waproamd - but I haven't
experimented with waproamd, so I'm not sure it's better.
--
derek