Re: Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

Hi,

I've a related question.

Le 13076ième jour après Epoch,
Jan Luehr écrivait:

> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2005 11:17 schrieb Frank:
>> I don't believe you have to use anything besides what wireless-tools
>> provides for every card.
>> I am using WPA with my ralink based card with the following entry
>> in /etc/network/interfaces:
>>
>> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>>         pre-up ifconfig eth1 up
>>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
>>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set EncrypType=TKIP
>>         pre-up iwconfig eth1 essid "youressid"
>>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set WPAPSK="yourkey"
>>
>> I don't even have wpa_supplicant installed.
>> If you need any additional info, just ask.
>
> It depends. Some cards (like my ipw2100) don't have any interesting iwpriv
> controls, while others (as yours, as mine PrismII) have a lot.
> As long as you are referering to wpa as wpa-psk, you'll surely find some cards
> implementing TKIP, etc. in firmware (as yours) and you surely find some who
> don't.
> If you're looking at other wpa standards (like wpa-radius, etc.) the wpa
> clients must handle varous keystores, trust dbs, etc. and I'ven't seen any
> card, that's able to do that - for good reasons.

My card (ipw2200 driver) doesn't have the WPA iwpriv capabilities, so
I should use some supplicant.

But I can't. I use whereami as a network auto configuration tool, and
all works perfectly. whereami is a great job!

But wpa_supplicant do some stuff that breaks my whereami config. And
I'm unable to use both tools.

Did somebody have some ideas for using whereami and WPA ?

Thanks in advance.