Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

I get the impression that, among other services (like choosing an access point and setting your keys, etc. for it), the big feature of wpa_supplicant is that it provides software WPA for cards that don't support it in their hardware.

In my case, I have hardware that *does* have WPA on the card, and wpa_supplicant doesn't seem to be pairing up with my AP. So, I wanted to use the WPA built into the card. What tools do I use to set the key for WPA? Do I use the same ones as for WEP (like iwconfig), or what?

- Joe