Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

David R. Litwin wrote:

>> Certainly I have an internet connection, which "works".
>>
>> Then what's your problem? All along you've been telling us you couldn't
>> access the Internet. If you can, it's a simple matter of automating the
>> method you're using. In this case, probably just uncommenting the wlan0
>> lines in /etc/network/interfaces and changing wlan0 to ath0.
>

> If you have been interpreting what I say to mean I have no connection at
> all, I appologise. I know that I have stated quite clearly that the
> problem is a page will load (if at all)

"if at all" is an indication of not working. Your very first post said the
same. The question is whether it works (ie, _reliably_) when you use
"dhclient ath0", which you've twice implied it does.  Stop going off on
tangents and just answer the questions!

>> Here is my theory. I think that the problem is in the search
>> > no-domain-set.bellcanada being on top when connecting with the
>> > wireless.
>>
>> No, it has nothing to do with anything. All the search domain does (I
>> already explained this) is add ".no-domain-set.bellcanada" to the end of
>> any DNS query your system makes to an unqualified domain (e.g., "foo" as
>> opposed to "foo.bar"). Which means that, in all the cases you showed, it
>> does nothing useful (queries to unqualified domains would time out in
>> half the time, though, if you didn't have it at all).
>
> Hence my theory. Since, when looking at the resolv.conf file it has the
> search bit first, I believe that it is adding this
> no-domain-set.bellcanadato the end of all queries and only if that
> doesn't work will it remove it.

I give up. DNS doesn't work that way.  SO REMOVE IT.  I promise you it will
make NO difference, but it's obviously the only thing you'll trust.  It
will get changed back next time you configure an interface, but it'll stay
however you set it long enough to prove it makes no difference.

> The nameserver should be listed first in a working connection (well, with

Just RTFM!
--
derek