Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

David R. Litwin wrote:

> Plug the system you're having trouble with into the router with an
> ethernet
>> cable, make sure you have a connection. Then do:
>>
>> route
>

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 64.230.197.65 <http://64.230.197.65> *
> 255.255.255.255<http://255.255.255.255>UH 0 0 0 ppp0
> default 64.230.197.65 <http://64.230.197.65> 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> UG 0
> 0 0 ppp0

ppp0?  Must be pppoe.  That's a bit of a clue.  Too bad I don't know
anything about pppoe.  Surely you configured it yourself, though, at some
point.

> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>

> nameserver 206.47.244.12 <http://206.47.244.12>
> nameserver 207.47.244.12 <http://207.47.244.12>
> search no-domain-set.bellcanada

So your wired connection is _not_ using the wireless router's DNS.

> cat /var/lib/dhcp*/*.leases

None of those look good - nothing like the wired session.  In fact, not even
a lease for the wired session.

> Compare the results. They
>> should be exactly the same except for the metric & iface columns in the
>> "route" output, the actual IP issued in the lease, and the interface the
>> lease is for.
>>
>> If you don't get an IP at all wirelessly, then try: "dhclient ath0" (or
>> whatever the wireless iface is) and report back.
>

> I started to use dhclient ath0. It seems to work, I don't know what else I
> can do, so I do that.

Seems to work?  You mean you get an internet connection?
--
derek