Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

On October 2, 2005 00:37, David R. Litwin wrote:

> 1. Get the nic associate with the access point
>
> > Try configuring the wireless settings manually with iwconfig
> > iwconfig eth1 enc off
> > iwconfig eth1 essid myessid
> > iwconfig eth1 channel mychannel
> > Now check the state of the card:
> > iwconfig eth1
> > You should see IEEE 802.11[abg] on the first line, instead of
> > "unassociated".
> > See if you can arping your access point
> > arping -i eth1 <ip address, probably 192.168.0.1 <http://192.168.0.1>>
>
> All of this works nicely. However, I need to set an IP before I can arping.
> Elsewise, it says that ath0 is not activated (or some such thing).
>
> 2. Configure the network device with ifconfig
>
> > ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.10 <http://192.168.0.10>
> > See if you can ping your access point
> > ping <ip address>
>
> All of this works nicely. It seems that ping never stops: Is this so, for
> that is what was happening to me.

Yes, ping by default never stops.  If you just want it to send a few packets
you can use the -c option.

> 3. Now try configuring by dhcp
>
> > dhclient3 eth1
> > This should set your DNS server information as well.
> > Try pinging your access point again.
> > If that works, try pinging a site by name
> > ping www.google.ca <http://www.google.ca>
>
> Again, all went well with this.
>
> See how far you can get following these steps.
>

> It seems to me that the problem is not with the connection, but rather with
> the applications. Could this be? What could this problem be? How do I
> correct it?

Did you try your applications once you had your connection up?  They should
have worked as well.  I suspect the problem is with the configuration you
have in /etc/network/interfaces.  Or maybe the problem was with your WEP
configuration.  Try recreating the configuration you applied in steps 1
through 3 in /etc/network/interfaces.  Something like:

iface mytest inet dhcp
  wireless-enc off
  wireless-essid myessid
  wireless-channel mychannel

Then bring ath1 up like this:
ifdown ath1
ifup ath1=mytest

Then test the connection.  Try pinging and some other applications.  Let me
know how that works for you.

> I thank you kindly.

You're welcome.

Luca