Re: Can't boot 2.6.?? kernels - Acer TravelMate 4651LMi

Also sprach marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> (Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:35:08 +0100):
> Either way, it looks like I'll have to compile the kernel. How does one
> go about creating a kernel that doesn't require an initrd? I understand
> the ideas, but not the execution. Reading links will be fine, thanks :-)

google will sure give some info - anyway, for short:

get latest linux-source- .deb and "kernel-package"; the c-compiler and
other necessary stuff will hopefully be dependencies or suggested by
the source-.deb.

cd /usr/src
tar -jxf linux-source-...bz2 or
tar -zxf linux-source-...gz
[unpack the source...]

cd linux-source
make menuconfig (if this fails, you'll need ncurses-dev)
[configure...]
Be sure to know what kind of hardware is in your laptop. (Hint: lspci
-v, the manual). Necessary things (like filesystem) must not be build as
module since the kernel has to boot without an initrd (where these
modules live with precompiled kernels). If you're unsure build as
module - these should get loaded with hotplug or can be loaded
in /etc/modules at startup. Maybe you can find a ready to use .config
for your laptop somewhere on the net (quick google: tuxmobile.org ,
www.linux-laptops.net , http://bram.be/travelmate_4651lci.html ,
http://people.freenet.de/renmi/acer4652.html (german)). Your
current .config resides in /boot/config-[version]

# make-kpkg --revision=yours.001 kernel_image
[compile...]

# dpkg -i ../linux(or kernel)-image-..-yours.001-...
[install...]
grub should get updated by dpkg -i (?), lilo may need some modifications
in /etc/lilo.conf to point to the new vmlinuz in /boot.

# reboot
[use...]

If you forgot something or made a bobo, boot the old kernel and
# make-kpkg clean
# make-kpkg --revision=yours.002 kernel_image

> --
> Best,
> Marc

good luck, ritch