Re: Can't boot 2.6.?? kernels - Acer TravelMate 4651LMi

Also sprach marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> (Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:50:27 +0100):
> Frans Pop said...
> > On Monday 03 October 2005 13:11, marc wrote:
> >
> > > My next question involves the fact that lots of stuff that I had setup
> > > in 2.4.?? points to /dev/hdc3. Fixing these manually is no problem when
> > > they appear, but what system level things should I change?
> >
> > AFAIK there are only two really important items (which you have probably
> > already fixed as the system boots now):
> > - /etc/fstab
> > - bootloader configuration, probably /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >   (or, if you use lilo instead of grub: /etc/lilo.conf; don't forget to
> >   run lilo after any changes)

(if in use:) laptop-mode-tools, smartmon, hdparm, ..

> Thanks for that.
>
> Yes, the fstab entries failed during the initial boot. The boot process
> dumps you at the command prompt to fix it before continuing.
>
> Next question: how do I identify where the CD drive is attached? It was
> /dev/hdb.

check your dmesg output ($ dmesg or /var/log/dmesg or $ grep
CD /var/log/dmesg); try to mount a cd:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom

sl ritch