Re: Can't boot 2.6.?? kernels - Acer TravelMate 4651LMi

Frans Pop said...
> On Monday 03 October 2005 22:06, marc wrote:
> > Yup, as I suspected, it's not being recognised. I guess this fall into
> > the other thread about the missing CD drive, which requires a kernel
> > build.
>
> you probably need to load the drivers needed for the CD drive before the
> SATA drivers. This is a known issue for some controllers.

I'm willing to give it a go. But I don't know how to do that.

> This may be somewhat hard to do if you use an initrd. If not, just put the
> drivers for the CD drive in /etc/modules.

I'm using the standard kernel package, which uses an initrd.

Either way, it looks like I'll have to compile the kernel. How does one
go about creating a kernel that doesn't require an initrd? I understand
the ideas, but not the execution. Reading links will be fine, thanks :-)

--
Best,
Marc