Re: Can't boot 2.6.?? kernels - Acer TravelMate 4651LMi

On Monday 03 October 2005 23:35, marc wrote:
> Either way, it looks like I'll have to compile the kernel.

If you want to keep using the initrd you may not have to.
'info mkintrd' and see /etc/mkinitrd/*, especially the modules file.

> How does one
> go about creating a kernel that doesn't require an initrd? I understand
> the ideas, but not the execution. Reading links will be fine, thanks
> :-)

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/index.php

IIRC the first link is fairly well known. Not sure about the second one,
haven't looked at it.
Google "debian kernel package howto" for more.