Re: CDROM problem!

Koen Vermeer said...
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 23:54 +0100, marc wrote:
> > Might that mean that the differences I found between the Debian config
> > (in /boot) and the output from menuconfig were "corrections" made by
> > menuconfig to account for those differences found in the vanilla kernel
> > setup?
>
> Yes. For example, if a driver has been removed from the kernel source by
> Debian, then you won't find the corresponding entry in the config-file
> anymore.

That makes sense, although it was worth checking in case the
configuration tool assumed certain things. Glad to hear it doesn't.

> > Interestingly, I'm now compiling 2.6.8 from the Debian package. When I
> > ran the appropriate /boot/config through menuconfig, and saved it, it
> > proved to be identical.
>
> Good. But to solve your problems, I'd try the most recent Debian source
> (as I said, I think it's 2.6.12).

Okay, but I wanted to start on a known working kernel. I did this, and
managed to get it working - with the missing CDROM, as expected.

Onward. Since I am running stable, I added a testing 'deb src' to
sources.list, did apt-get update, but no linux-source-2.6.12.... debs
were present. So I went to :
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
and found:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/linux-source-2.6.12

Since I couldn't apt-get install this, I've downloaded it.

My question is how to I make this package known to apt?

I installed it via dpkg -1 ... but I'd like apt to know about it, if
possible,

--
Best,
Marc