Re: CDROM problem!

Hi!
I followed this steps

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html

My cdrom worked fine.
The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h

It workerd for me.

Thanks to Koen

Arlindo

Andrew Porter wrote:

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:51 +0100, marc wrote:

Andrew Porter said...

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:20 -0300, Arlindo Sierra Neto wrote:

Hi!
I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de HD is connected on the PATA controller. The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
It has a ICH6 chipset.

Does anyone could help me?
Hi Andrew,

Could you please explain your solution more fully please. I've added notes to indicate more precisely what I don't understand.

I got around this by installing with the SATA in "compatible" mode -
How do you do this?

On my PC (a Dell Dimension 8400) its an option in the Bios.

this made it appear as a PATA device.
Once installed and a new kernel setup
Does this mean that you installed using 2.6.8 then added, say, 2.6.12?

I think I actually installed a 2.4 kernel in the end.

I changed it back
What did you change back?

The Bios setting - changed it back to SATA mode

without any problems (remembering to change root from hda to sda).
In the grub menu?

Indeed - as the installation was done on /dev/hda but when using the HD
as SATA it is /dev/sda

My diagnosis of the problem - and I may be way off on this but went no
further than getting it working - was that when loading the SATA drivers
for some reason the IDE cdrom driver no longer worked/could find the cd.
This doesn't seem to be a problem with 2.6.12 (stock debian kernel).