Re: CDROM problem!

Koen Vermeer said...
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 19:49 +0100, marc wrote:
> > Next, I simply copied /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 to /usr/src/linux-
> > 2.6.12.1/.config. I then ran
> > # make-kpkg clean
> > # fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image
> > This stops with:
> > PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)
> > awaiting input.
>
> That's probably because you try to compile a vanilla kernel (from
> www.kernel.org) with the Debian options. As Debian applies various
> patches to the kernel, you get things like this. It's probably easier to
> get the Debian kernel source (package name is linux-source-2.6.12 if I'm
> not mistaken) and use that one. That should allow you to get a clean
> compile with the Debian config file.

Thanks for that, Koen. That makes a lot of sense.

Might that mean that the differences I found between the Debian config
(in /boot) and the output from menuconfig were "corrections" made by
menuconfig to account for those differences found in the vanilla kernel
setup?

Interestingly, I'm now compiling 2.6.8 from the Debian package. When I
ran the appropriate /boot/config through menuconfig, and saved it, it
proved to be identical.

--
Best,
Marc