Re: bringing up eth0 for wireless card

Mark Copper wrote:

>Hmmm...  I'm tempted to try HostAP with my D-Link DWL-650 vP1 on the
>basis of a note in this list from last Dec
>
>The main obstruction I see ahead of time is that my Inspiron 3200 only
>has PCI support 2.1.  Now Andrew Barr
>(http://home.columbus.rr.com/andrewbarr/linux/dwl520e1.html) documents
>using the D-Link DWL-650 vP1 and says that PCI 2.2 is required, that
>without it the card won't even show up on lspci.  And it's true, mine
>doesn't.  But this card *does* show up under "cardctl ident".
>
>Should I move on to another card or laptop?  Or do I have a chance with
>HostAP with this hardware?
>
>Oh, I do have wireless tools installed--but I can't use that unless I
>get an interface to the card to configure first, right?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mark
>
>On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:08:58PM -0400, Mark Copper wrote:
>

>Oh, I do have wireless tools installed--but I can't use that unless I
>get an interface to the card to configure first, right?

Before i bring my wirelles nic up i still can see this with wireless-tools:
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

So if you got that, then the nic should be detected, properly... I don't know what "cardctl ident" means...
--

/Lars