Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

Benedek Frank:

> This is unacceptable. I am looking for a NEW email client. I like a GUI email
> client, that has features such as putting emails to the folders I want them
> to go (filtering) and has support for more than one POP account. Any takers
> on this? Will pine do this for me? Can it use the maildir format?

If you consider pine, try mutt instead. It(self or specialized tools)
can do everything you can imagine and much more. Configuration is a
little hard at the beginning, but your muttrc will evolve over time
anyway so don't try to understand everything at once. You will become
sensitive four your needs and most often you'll find an elegant
solution.

I have used mutt for about four years now and I still learn how it can
make my mail reading simpler and more efficient. And BTW, last year I
have switched from running mutt on my desktop to run it on my home
"server" so I don't have to mess with mail replication when reading from
different hosts (at work, laptop,  desktop...). This machine is an
800MHz box with a VIA Samuel2 CPU (not even remotely comparable with a
Pentium of the same clockspeed). Mutt feels really fast, even over quite
slow network connections. Believe me, it's really worth trying.

To be really fancy, you could even run dovecot (an IMAP server) while
trying out mutt, so you can always change mail clients. Dovecot probably
takes less memory than all those K* libraries.

J.
--
When I am at nightclubs I enjoy looking at other people and assessing
their imagined problems.