Re: Debian and Atheros Wireless card

abhishek soni wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of interconnected questions and they relate to getting my
wireless working with Debian.

Details: I have a Netgear WG511 wireless card based on the Atheros chipset
which uses madwifi drivers.
Also I am running Debian on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 2430-S255) Sarge
with kernel 2.4.27-1-386.

Now I previously had this card working in Ubuntu but there are some programs that I need, that will work only with a 2.4 kernel. Hence I had to switch to
Debian. In order to install the madwifi drivers, I need to install the
kernel-source. So I did an apt-get install kernel-source but it just
downloads it.

I am a relative newcomer to Debian so my questions are:

1. any simple readme page or set of instructions to compile the kernel
source so that i can get the madwifi drivers installed?

2. is there another simpler way to get the wireless card working?

Thanks,
Abhi

been there, done that

copy a working kernel from Knoppix; easy / simple => smart
Knoppix 3.6 - kernel 2.6.7
Knoppix 3.7 - kernel 2.4.27

/ Jiri