suspend/resume leads to blank screen

Hello-

I've installed Debian on my Panasonic Toughbook 18, and am slowly
setting everything up.  I'm running 'testing'.  I've got kernel 2.6.11
installed (via the kernel-image package), as well as the acpi, acpid,
and hibernate packages.  I edited hibernate.conf so that Software
Suspend 2 is turned off, and I'm using this instead:

UseSysfsPowerState mem
PowerdownMethod shutdown

The strange thing is, after a suspend/resume, the screen is blank.  I
know the system is working because I can type "sudo shutdown -h now" and
the machine switches off.  Likewise, I sporadically can get the virtual
terminal back by using Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch between X and the console,
though the screen is a whitish-grey color and I have to hit enter a few
times to see the shell prompt.

I've googled around for this issue, read various man pages & other docs,
and fiddled around with the settings in hibernate.conf with little
success.

I hear Software Suspend 2 is just plain better for this sort of thing;
would recompiling my kernel with swsusp2 patched in fix it?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks much.

-Tom Olson
Lowly Undergraduate
UNH