Kernel advice/help

First off, I'm running Debian testing, with the 2.4.27-1-386 kernel, on a
Dell Inspiron 3800. This is the kernel from the default install, not
specialized.

My question is this:

One of the reasons I started using Debian was for it's magnificent package
management. I don't want to have to compile anything if I don't have to.
But my wireless PC card is going to force my hand. It's an SMC 2632W V.3,
with the Atmel chipset if I did my homework right. There doesn't appear to
be a debian package for it that I can find (for testing, anyway). So I'll
have to compile. So here's the problem; the instructions ask for the
location of the kernel source code, which should be /usr/src. There's
nothing there, and if I'm correct, only the kernel image itself
(/boot/vmlinuz) is present. Should I be looking somewhere else, or does
Debian not install kernel source?

If that's normal, how should I proceed? When trying to apt-get the same
kernel version I already have, I get the "already have this version"
message. So can I simply go to kernel.org, pull down a tarball of
2.4.27-1-386 and install the source in /usr/src for when I need to compile
something? That seems awfully....un-Debian like. And I'd like to do it the
Debian Way. Advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...