Re: Kernel 2.6.xx

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:17 +1000, Ryan Heise wrote:
> As I mentioned, I would *much* prefer to use netinstall.

Sorry, I missed that part of the thread.  My Bad.  :(

> BUT,
>
> Can someone tell me if the netinstall CD includes the driver for my
> network card: sk98lin? And if so, which version?
>
> A netinstall CD is only as useful as its set of network card drivers.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with ya there:  You can use
additional drivers if you've installed them on the hd or if you've got
them on floppy.

> So far, I tried RC3 and it did not include the sk98lin driver, so I
> couldn't install from it.

I disagree with ya there: I just downloaded the sarge RC3 netinst, and
both the 2.4.27 kernel and the 2.6.8 kernel contain the sk98lin driver
in the nic-extra-modules packages.  The version of the driver is the
version that is stock with that version of kernel.  You may need to
enable the driver.

> Does anyone know how can I check?

Straightforward, but not obvious, recipe using any modern Linux:

1) DL the iso.

2) Burn it to disk or loopback mount it.

3) Find the packages that will be installed on the base base system.
(*.udeb).

4) Find the packages that are associated with the nic drivers (under
pool/main/l/linux-kernel-di-i386/nic*  for 2.4 kernel or
pool/main/l/linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6/nic* for 2.6 kernel).

5) Copy those files to a temp directory.

6) Use "ar x debarchivename.udeb" to extract the contents (instructions
from man 5 deb, man page is installed with the dpkg-dev package).

7) Use "tar tzf data.tar.gz | less" to list contents of deb, or if you
want the kernel files, use "tar xzf data.tar.gz".

-Ian