Re: Kernel 2.6.xx

On Monday 11 April 2005 00:37, you wrote:
> I will keep in mind that sarge uses 2.6 kernel. I am asking for it
> because I read in many sites that this kernel runs well with laptops
> and it contains many improvements from 2.4. Actually I started
> downloading woody and I have the first several CD-s. Isn't it possible
> just to recompile the core from 2.6 sourcecore and to make it run
> fine, or you suggest sarge as a more innovative distro supporting
> laptops without a lot of bothering.

Hi,
I'm running sarge on a laptop.
Don't download nothing.
Just get the floppies or the cdrom of the network installation, and start the
installation.
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/20050305/image
s/ To install kernel 2.6 choose at the start, 'expert', then you will get to
 choose the kernel. Just take care what kernel you need, ie i386 i686 etc.
 The installation will ask you for your country and then give you to choose
 debian mirror to download the base system ~150MB.
Now you will have debian base on the laptop.
Now run this command from the command prompt:
apt-get install kde kdm gpm x-window-system vim less lynx ncftp
this will install kde and x server.
You can choose to run instead dselect, and then choose desktop system and
laptop.
This will install most of the needed packages for desktop system.
I would go with Sarge, woody is too old to enjoy ;)

kfir