Re: Which kernel module needed for touchpad and USB mouse?

On Friday 08 April 2005 07:26, Steffen Waldherr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I tried command "insmod psmouse.ko", then I could use
> > the touchpad to move the mouse, but I could not focus
> > on the application window and launch the application
> > by click on the touchpad (the module evdev.ko has been
> > loaded).
>
> Try the synaptics touch pad driver packaged as
> xfree86-driver-synaptics in Debian.
>
> > The second problem is that there is no any response
> > after I connect my USB mouse.  However, the module
> > "usbcore, usbmouse" have been loaded.  I tried to load
> > all possible module in the
> > /lib/module/2.6.8-2.-686/kernel/drivers/usb/input, but
> > still do not work.  Need I load other modules?

The correct module is almost never usbmouse.  More likely mousedev

> Do you have the usb driver loaded (e.g. the module uhci_hcd)?
> If so, there should be some message in the system logs. And
> maybe you need the module usbhid.

It is important to get the order correct.  If you have no other modules
installed, modprobe mousedev would probably get it right, but there's
usb-uhci (or uhci_hcd or other alternative depending on speed and
manufacturer and kernel version), usbcore, usbhid, evdev and input that need
to be installed
--
derek