Sound on Toshiba Tecra 8000 and Sarge/2.6 kernel

Greetings,

After a few hours of trying, I can't get the sound to work.
The Toshiba Tecra 8000 has (from everything I've read) the yamaha
opl3 chipset which requires the snd-opl3sa2 driver.  In this page

http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2004-November/009979.html

Martin Reiche reports success with this hardware/kernel combination,
but he's using Ubuntu.  Others have had problems with Debian.  Can
anybody give me a hint as to why this appears to work in Ubuntu but
not in Debian (standard Sarge kernel 2.6.8-2-i386)

In addition to the /etc/modules.conf data (that I also added from the
page above) the line in /etc/modules is:

snd-opl3sa2 dma1=1 dma2=0 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 isapnp=0 midi_port=0x330
port=0x538 sb_port=0x220 wss_port=0x530

(in one line of course).  All the parameters, which apparently are
the defaults, match exactly what the BIOS tells me

What have I overlooked?  Anyone using sarge/2.6 kernel on a Tecra 8000
with sound?

Thanks.

Augustine