Re: xdm modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-13

On Thursday 30 December 2004 17:22, Jeremy Melanson wrote:
> Hello Jose.
>
> I would love to tell you to just uninstall XDM, but unfortunately, some
> X Windows components depend on the package (blah!). I like my
> text-console login, so I just rename /etc/init.d/xdm

Oh please.  He's got a _very_ common module error, and you want to uninstall
xdm?  That's like a typical M$ solution - reinstall the OSS.

> to /etc/init.d/xdm.disabled. This is sufficient enough to break the
> symbolic links in the /etc/rc[x].d directories that point to it, so no
> matter what runlevel you find yourself in, XDM will not start.
>
> As for the module error, I'm not sure about it. Perhaps it has something
> to do with PTY access and XDM?

It has to do with 'hid' (input devices - keyboard or mouse, I would expect).
Google for char-major-13

Normally:
 alias char-major-13 input
in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, but I suspect you have a kernel without "input"
defined.
--
derek