Re: xdm modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-13

Unfortunately, the "display managers" seem to be a requirement of
having X installed at all.

What I do is rename the file /etc/init.d/kdm to kdm-do_not_run (yours
would be /etc/init.d/xdm). This prevents the init scripts calling the
program without actually screwing anything else up. It also makes it
obvious what to change back once I want X to automatically run again.

Maybe someone else knows what option in X to set to not have it
launch.

It's then a simple matter to type "startx" after logging in at the
command line.

About the char-major error, sorry, can't help with that one.

Curt-

On Thursday 30 December 2004 15:12, jose isaias cabrera was heard to
say:

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history