Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

On 4 Sep 2004, SML wrote:
>> in the Xlog there is this line which seems to indicate that X is aware
>> that 1024x768 is possible:
>> (II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
>> present: TRUE, size: (1024,768
>> (II) I810(0): Size of device LFP (local flat panel) is 1024 x 768
>>
>> So it seems that 1024x768 should be available? But why the display is
>> limited is a mystery.
>>
>> Again, many thanks in advance for your help.

[...]

> Well ... it looks like 1024x768 resolution is not possible on a laptop
> using the intel 852/855MG chip without a commercial driver. These two
> posts, at least in the absence of other information, nails this coffin
> down.

[...]

> I'm a bit disapointed. The XFree version currently installed on this
> Sarge installation is 4.3 ... would it be worth it to try to upgrade to
> 4.4?

Yes, or to the 'Xorg' pre-releases.  As I understand it there has been a
lot of work put into the driver for this video chipset in recent
releases of the X tree, and that "advanced" features like higher
resolutions need additional support.

If I recall correctly, also, some things require the card to be put into
a sufficiently high video resolution at boot time rather than when the X
server starts, so the system reserves sufficient video memory.

It may be worth trying the kernel framebuffer console for that chipset
and using the BIOS (through the boot loader) to switch into a high
resolution mode as a test.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
        -- Satchell Page