Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:21:59AM -0700, SML wrote:
> > So you copied the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix? That file
> > most likely sets the resolution to 800x600.
> >
> > In what way were you unable to get X Configured? What happens when you
> > as root run
> >   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> >
> > If you have modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -file yourself, debconf
> > refuses to alter it, so you need to read from the FAQ how to get that
> > file back under debconf control.
> >   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml
> >   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#forceoverwriteconf

You have checked that dpkg-reconfigure actually changes the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4? If you altered that file without
dpkg-reconfigure, it will not store the new configuration to that
file. If this happens, read the above URL for FAQ on how to get the
file back under dpkg-reconfigure control.

> I reconfigured XF86Free-4 using 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (with
> both the VESA and i810 driver) I received the following errors when
> trying to startx.
>
> (WW) VESA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0)
> found
> (EE) No Devices detected.

This is strange. VESA should work.

You might get higher resolution if you set Depth to 8, but then you
only get 256 colors. I'm not sure about this, I don't remember what
was the maximum resolution VESA standard supported.

> ------
>
> results of 'lspci' -- these were the two lines which referenced the
> video chip (I think).
>
> (--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device rev
> 1, Mem j@0xe8000000/27, 0xe0000000/19, I/O @0x1800/3
> (--) PCI:(0:2:1) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device rev
> 1, Mem j@0xe8000000/27, 0xe0000000/19, I/O @0x1800/3

According to
  http://opensource.cph.dk/xfree86/htdocs/4.3.0/i810.4.html
855GM chipset is supported by i810 driver.

> ------
>
> This is the Knoppix XFree86-4 generated config file for "Device,"
> "Screen," and "Display" which does work but only gives a max 800x600
> resolution.
>
> Section "Device"
>   Identifier "Card0"
>   VendorName "All"
>   BoardName "All"
> # BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

There is no Driver here? What driver is the Knoppix using? I think
this Device section will not work without a Driver line.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
Tapio.Lehtonen@IKI.FI