Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

> > I have a new installation of Sarge on a Gateway M305. I was unable
> > to get X configured so I popped in a Knoppix disk and used that
> > XF86Config-4 ... and while the Knoppix X config works, the maximum
> > resolution possible is 800x600. The laptop is capable 1024x768 on
> > the laptop, and can throw 1280x1024 to an external monitor.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what to provide in either my XF86congfig-4 or in
> > the log which would help in providing a higher resolution, but I
> > would sure like more real estate on my screen ... 800x600 is an
> > unworkablely small space.
> >

> So you copied the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix? That file
> most likely sets the resolution to 800x600.
>
> In what way were you unable to get X Configured? What happens when you
> as root run
>   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> If you have modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -file yourself, debconf
> refuses to alter it, so you need to read from the FAQ how to get that
> file back under debconf control.
>   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml
>   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#forceoverwriteconf
>
> --
> Tapio Lehtonen
> Tapio.Lehtonen@IKI.FI
> GPG public key from http://www.iki.fi/Tapio.Lehtonen

I reconfigured XF86Free-4 using 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (with
both the VESA and i810 driver) I received the following errors when
trying to startx.

(WW) VESA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0)
found
(EE) No Devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

XI0: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I've cut and paste selections from the 'lspci' command, and the
xserver-xfree86 and Knoppix generated XFree86-4 config files. I'd really
love to get the 1024x768 resolution running ... Is there anything else
possible to get a higher resolution?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

/SME

------

results of 'lspci' -- these were the two lines which referenced the
video chip (I think).

(--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device rev
1, Mem j@0xe8000000/27, 0xe0000000/19, I/O @0x1800/3
(--) PCI:(0:2:1) Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device rev
1, Mem j@0xe8000000/27, 0xe0000000/19, I/O @0x1800/3

------

This is the Knoppix XFree86-4 generated config file for "Device,"
"Screen," and "Display" which does work but only gives a max 800x600
resolution.

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Card0"
  VendorName "All"
  BoardName "All"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
End Section

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Screen0"
  Device "Card0"
  Monitor "Monitor0"
  DefaultColorDepth 24

  Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768 "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
End Section

This is the xserver-xfree86 generated config file for "Device,"
"Screen," and "Display" which doesn't work generating the PCI errors
above.

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel 852/855mg"
  Driver "vesa"