Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:12:54PM -0700, SML wrote:
> I have a new installation of Sarge on a Gateway M305. I was unable to
> get X configured so I popped in a Knoppix disk and used that
> XF86Config-4 ... and while the Knoppix X config works, the maximum
> resolution possible is 800x600. The laptop is capable 1024x768 on the
> laptop, and can throw 1280x1024 to an external monitor.
>
> I'm not quite sure what to provide in either my XF86congfig-4 or in the
> log which would help in providing a higher resolution, but I would sure
> like more real estate on my screen ... 800x600 is an unworkablely small
> space.

So you copied the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix? That file
most likely sets the resolution to 800x600.

In what way were you unable to get X Configured? What happens when you
as root run
  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If you have modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -file yourself, debconf
refuses to alter it, so you need to read from the FAQ how to get that
file back under debconf control.
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#forceoverwriteconf

--