Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

> in the Xlog there is this line which seems to indicate that X is aware
> that 1024x768 is possible:
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
> present: TRUE, size: (1024,768
> (II) I810(0): Size of device LFP (local flat panel) is 1024 x 768
>
> So it seems that 1024x768 should be available? But why the display is
> limited is a mystery.
>
> Again, many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> /S

Well ... it looks like 1024x768 resolution is not possible on a laptop
using the intel 852/855MG chip without a commercial driver. These two
posts, at least in the absence of other information, nails this coffin
down.

commercial X
http://www.xig.com/Pages/Atop/Topics/Topic-Trouble-XFree.html

linuxquestions.org archive thread
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2004/02/3/118311

I'm a bit disapointed. The XFree version currently installed on this
Sarge installation is 4.3 ... would it be worth it to try to upgrade to
4.4? I searched but the highest XF86 version I found on the debian.org
package search was 4.3. Would it be worth it to try the new X.org
Xserver?

A little bit desperate as I'm finding the 800x600 resolution is just
unworkable, and purchasing a commercial xserver is a bit offputting.

Many thanks.

/S