Re: dist-upgraded sarge (on Dell Inspiron 8200) and things got funky

Just an update on this problem...

I ran another apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade last night and things went
mostly back to normal (whatever caused the problem appears to have been
fixed). It looks like some sort of hardware probing was causing
the laptop monitor to get all weird. When I tried booting into single-user mode
the text screen froze and then colors faded starting with blue, then green,
then red from the middle to the edges... quite cool looking, but a little
scary. The non-free nvidia driver stopped working, but I managed to get the
free nv driver working without much difficulty.

Chris

--
Christopher H. De Vries                      Phone: (617) 496-7636
Postdoctoral Fellow                          FAX:   (617) 495-7345