Re: Tools to handle ACPI events?

On August 26, 2004 06:20 am, Bart Samwel wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 20:39 -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> >
> > I delved into the /etc/acpi directory and found a script and acpid
> > config file, but there was nothing in there for handling common
> > suspend/standby/resume issues like resetting the system clock from the
> > hardware clock... or getting the GUI back on its feet, etc.
> >
> > First: Am I missing something here? Is there some Debian package that's
> > supposed to have a bunch of handlers for lid-close/open, or other
> > standby/resume issues?

The problem is that there _isn't_ such a thing as "common" events.  Mine are
probably the same as yours (because we both have Inspirons) but they won't be
the same as somebody else's Thinkpad (and there's no guarantee that ours are
even the same).  ACPI defines a way to control all sorts of events, but
doesn't enforce any kind of naming standard.

> Funny you should ask, there's just been a discussion on this on debian-
> devel. I'll be building these shared scripts. I'll let you know when
> they're done.

Best of luck - I hope you can find a way to make it work for a reasonably
large subset of machines.  Just trying to figure out what a system's
batteries or AC adapters are called seems to be an insurmountable problem for
most power monitoring apps.  That said, it obviously _can_ be done because
even Windows ME handles all this stuff.
--
derek