Re: dist-upgraded sarge (on Dell Inspiron 8200) and things got funky

> Hi,
>
> I've been using sarge on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop for a while now
> with no problems. I'm using a custom kernel built from the 2.4 kernel
> series using debian packaging tools as well as the non-free nvidia
> video drivers (I know... I don't like the fact that they sully my
> computer either). Anyway, on Monday or Tuesday I did an update /
> dist-upgrade (I hadn't upgraded for some time before that) and on
> reboot the lcd screen worked fine at the beginning, but at some point,
> and always at the same point during the boot, a bunch of vertical green
> lines appear (separated by about 5 pixels) and the text seems to become
> a series of vertical bars visible between the green bars. At first I
> thought this might be a hardware problem, but I ran through the dell
> diagnostics and everything works fine. Also it always occurs at the
> same point during the boot (presumable when some program starts up, but
> I can't tell which one).
>
> The weird thing is that this occurs BEFORE it enters graphics mode,
> long before it starts gdm and X. I was wondering if anyone here has
> experienced or know anything about this problem. If I don't hear
> anything I'll be bringing the computer into work next week so I can
> plug it into the network and access it from my work computer to look
> through the boot messages and try to figure out exactly what the cause
> is.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, I'll update the list if I find
> anything more.
>
> Chris

This also happened to me during the a recent Sarge install, using the
new Sarge installer. It went away when every thing was installed.
Not much help, but I think you may want to play with the vga settings in
lilo or grub. I think this may be the trouble.

--
Kevin C. Smith