Re: Tools to handle ACPI events?

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 11:20 +0200, Bart Samwel wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 20:39 -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > Howdy all...
> >
> > Ever since switching from APM to ACPI on my Dell Inspiron, none of the
> > events seem to do anything anymore. If I close the lid and open it, the
> > screen doesn't come back. The Fn-Esc ("Suspend") doesn't do anything at
> > all, etc.
> >
> > I delved into the /etc/acpi directory and found a script and acpid
> > config file, but there was nothing in there for handling common
> > suspend/standby/resume issues like resetting the system clock from the
> > hardware clock... or getting the GUI back on its feet, etc.
> >
> > First: Am I missing something here? Is there some Debian package that's
> > supposed to have a bunch of handlers for lid-close/open, or other
> > standby/resume issues?
> >
> > If not, I'm going to start working on a set of scripts/tools to handle
> > all of this well. Does anybody have any scripts they've already written
> > that I should start with? Anybody else want to help?
>
> Funny you should ask, there's just been a discussion on this on debian-
> devel. I'll be building these shared scripts. I'll let you know when
> they're done.

OK, I'm replying to myself here -- I was replying too fast. What I will
be building is a common infrastructure to _host_ these scripts, and the
required components to bind acpid/apmd/pmud/pbbuttonsd to these common
scripts. The actual scripts to handle the events are a different matter.
I will try to put as much support for common AC/battery switching logic
as possible into laptop-mode-tools, e.g. cpufreq, backlight, etcetera,
but I don't think handling lid events is really supposed to be done in
there. Perhaps when the common infrastructure is done there should be a
"laptop" package that includes scripts for lid etc. and that allows for
configuration in a simple /etc/laptop.conf (and perhaps with some
configuration questions). I'll probably start that discussion once the
common infrastructure is done, because I don't think such a package
would really work without the common infrastructure.

--
Bart Samwel <bart@samwel.tk>