Re: dist-upgraded sarge (on Dell Inspiron 8200) and things got funky

In article <[🔎] 20040819144700.GA15741@miyu.cjas.org> chd1@cornell.edu writes:
>I've been using sarge on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop for a while now with no
>problems. I'm using a custom kernel built from the 2.4 kernel series using
>debian packaging tools as well as the non-free nvidia video drivers (I
>know... I don't like the fact that they sully my computer either). Anyway, on
>Monday or Tuesday I did an update / dist-upgrade (I hadn't upgraded for some
>time before that) and on reboot the lcd screen worked fine at the beginning,
>but at some point, and always at the same point during the boot, a bunch of
>vertical green lines appear (separated by about 5 pixels) and the text seems to
>become a series of vertical bars visible between the green bars. At first I
>thought this might be a hardware problem, but I ran through the dell
>diagnostics and everything works fine. Also it always occurs at the same point
>during the boot (presumable when some program starts up, but I can't tell which
>one).
>
>The weird thing is that this occurs BEFORE it enters graphics mode, long before
>it starts gdm and X. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced or know
>anything about this problem. If I don't hear anything I'll be bringing the
>computer into work next week so I can plug it into the network and access it
>from my work computer to look through the boot messages and try to figure out
>exactly what the cause is.

Sid works fine on my inspiron 8200, with the free nv driver.

Did the upgrade install a new kernel?  Have you tried booting your
previous kernel?

Try booting single-user, then running the /etc/init.d/rc2 scripts one
by one in order to find where things are messing up.

Knoppix makes a good rescue disk.  I've had to repair my laptop a
couple of times when /lib was corrupted by a disk crash.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html